May 15, 2020
America’s Wireless Companies Respond to COVID-19: May 15th Update .
The wireless industry continues to help in the fight against COVID-19, providing critical support and resources for customers, students, businesses and communities. Here are some of the ways wireless companies lent a virtual hand this week:
- AT&T partnered with Cisco to launch Webex Calling with AT&T, expanding access to cloud-based phone capabilities for businesses and ensuring that they remain connected.
- T-Mobile teamed up with iHeartRadio to air a commencement podcast for Class of 2020 graduating seniors, who will be missing their physical graduation ceremonies due to COVID-19. The company also challenged TikTok users to post their graduation videos using the hashtag #TossYourCap, donating $5 for each video – up to $200,000 – to Jobs for America’s Graduates.
- Verizon donated $5 million to No Kid Hungry, helping the organization provide food and nourishment to 384,000 students a day.
- Ericsson joined UNESCO’s Global Education Coalition for COVID-19 and launched Ericsson Educate, an educational program that delivers online learning content focused on improving digital skills for students in secondary schools and universities.
- Qualcomm’s Thinkabit Lab at Virginia Tech is creating 3D printed masks for hospitals, equipping frontline healthcare workers with critical equipment.
- Tracfone partnered with Walmart on drive-through COVID-19 testing centers. The carrier was part of the first two Chicago sites and has since scaled with the retailer to include 40 more locations. Tracfone donated 100 phones and service for the volunteer personnel to use in their testing flow and will continue to donate phones and provide service at a discount rate.
Now more than ever, wireless is playing a critical role in keeping us connected to our family and friends, our jobs, our schools and our communities, and we are proud of our members and the industry for their tireless efforts in these trying times. We will continue to share our members’ stories here and on the CTIA website.
Keeping Us Connected Through COVID-19
Learn how the Wireless Industry is working to keep us connected.