August 7, 2020
America’s Wireless Companies Respond to COVID-19: August 7th Update .
As the spread of COVID-19 continues to impact life in America, the wireless industry remains dedicated to providing critical resources and support to students, families and businesses. Take a look to see how wireless companies continue to lend a helping hand:
- AT&T donated 11,000 wireless hotspots to the Santa Clara County Office of Education and San Jose Public Library System for students and households in San Jose, California who lack internet access as they prepare to start the school year virtually due to COVID-19.
- T-Mobile and Apple partnered with the California Department of Education to donate approximately 100,000 wireless devices, connecting up to 1 million students in need of wireless access as they begin the next school year from home due to COVID-19.
- Verizon is teaming up with the South Carolina Office of Regulatory Staff to enable distance learning using 4G LTE internet service and mobile devices for up to 150,000 K-12 students who expect to begin the next school year remotely due to the pandemic. Verizon also collaborated with productivity app Todoist to offer free access to the app’s premium services to help teachers and students prepare for the upcoming school year.
- Ericsson is exploring how the pandemic has increased the need for emerging technologies, such as virtual reality, telehealth and autonomous vehicles, and how these innovations will help consumers and businesses in a post-COVID-19 world.
- Samsung partnered with the Manufacturing Institute to launch “Veteran Reskilling in Today’s Economy,” a digital event featuring veterans, industry leaders and experts to discuss solutions for addressing the rise of veteran unemployment caused by COVID-19.
- Cisco is equipping businesses and employees with interactive technology to help companies maintain operations and enable safe remote work solutions during COVID-19.
Now more than ever, wireless is playing a critical role in keeping us connected to our family and friends, our jobs, our schools and our communities, and we are proud of our members and the industry for their tireless efforts in these trying times. We will continue to share our members’ stories here and on the CTIA website.
Keeping Us Connected Through COVID-19
Learn how the wireless industry is working to keep us connected.