Preventing Device Theft .
We know how distressing it can be to lose a phone, or even worse, have it stolen. The wireless industry has created tools to deter theft, help you recover a lost or stolen device, and remotely manage your data in the instance that your device cannot be found.
We recommend the following steps to protect your device:
Prepare your device in the case of loss or theft
- Engage features that can locate, lock, or erase your device remotely. Android’s Find My Device and Apple’s Find My iPhone features are typically turned on when you set up your device.
- Back up your files to a secure storage space regularly.
- Consider purchasing insurance to replace your device if it is lost or stolen.
How to set up your mobile device’s anti-theft tools
If your device is lost or stolen, react quickly
- Call your wireless provider to report your device lost or stolen and place a hold on your account. Your wireless provider will add your device to the Stolen Phone Checker to deter its resale.
- Engage locate/lock/erase tools by going to icloud.com/#find (Apple devices) or android.com/find (Android devices) to play a sound, set a message on your lock screen, locate your device, or remotely erase it, if needed.
If you lose your phone or find someone else’s phone, we also recommend that you report it to your local police department.
What do to if your mobile device is lost or stolen